Saturday, April 23, 2005

Rose FAQ

I just returned from Tagawa Gardens, where I enjoyed helping dozens of customers select roses. Some commonly asked questions among the customers:

Can I set the plants out now?
No, wait until around Mother’s Day (for those in zone 5). For now, harden the plants by setting them outside in a sheltered area (like a porch) until then. Bring them in if it freezes.

What roses can I grow that are very cold-hardy?
Canadian roses, hybrid rugosas, Buck roses, some of the old garden roses like Austrian Copper, Harison’s Yellow and Rosa glauca.

What are some very fragrant roses?
The English roses, many old garden roses, hybrid rugosas. For modern rose lovers, Sheila’s Perfume, Perfume Delight, Double Delight, Scentimental, and Mister Lincoln offer good fragrance. I discovered one today that could make me a hybrid tea fan: Papa Meilland. It’s a dark red hybrid tea with a deep damask fragrance.

Do you think these two colors will clash?
It’s a matter of personal preference. First, remember that most of each plant will be green, so planting a yellow rose next to a red one isn’t the same as wearing a yellow top with red pants. Second, lighter colors don’t clash as much as intense ones. Finally, if you have a formal garden, color coordination is more important than if you have a more informal garden.

What is a good thornless rose for an arbor?
Zephirine Drouhin is a great thornless climber. America isn’t very thorny; I’ve heard both good and bad reports of its performance. Veilchenblau is a terrific, nearly thornless purple rose, even though it doesn’t bloom long. Don Juan has been around for awhile; it’s a deep red rose that isn’t overly thorny.

How should I plant roses?
Dig a big hole, about 18" wide and deep. Put a little phosphate in the bottom of the hole to promote blooming, if you like. Mix the soil with some cow and compost, which is well-rotted cow manure and organic matter. (Someone couldn’t understand what this was until I made a mooing noise.) If there is a bud union, plant it three inches below the surface of the soil. Mulch the rose with, say, several sheets of newspaper and wood chips on top. If you use bark, add some more nitrogen to your fertilizing program. Water the rose well.

When do I prune the roses?
Now.

How do I prune roses?
The method described in many books and magazines is used by people who grow exhibition roses. They’re more interested in size and quality of blooms, not quantity of blooms. Prune lightly to get more blooms. This year, I am going to try the easy-care method of simply cutting the bush one-third to halfway down. But I won’t do this to the climbers. They need to be allowed to grow tall.

How should I feed the roses?
I recommend Mile High Rose Feed. It was designed by rose growers in the Denver area for roses for our kind of soil. It takes only three applications per year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home