Friday, April 29, 2005

Prune Now, Plant Later

Last weekend, hundreds of gardeners took home plants from the nursery. I hoped they weren’t planning to set them out that day, but I know some of them did. Many of those plants are no longer with us.

The last average frost date in Denver is May 10. I usually wait until Mother’s Day weekend to set out plants, and then keep buckets handy to cover them in case it snows. Cardboard boxes work well, also. If you live outside the Denver area, find out when your average last frost date is. Set out the plants after that.

It seems to be an unusually chilly spring. So cold, in fact, that my winter-sown seeds haven’t sprouted. I have brought the trays indoors and set them in the sunniest places in my house.

While waiting for the frosts to be over, prune the roses and give them Mile High Rose Feed.
If you already have plants you have not set out, keep them in a sheltered area: a porch on nice days, indoors if it freezes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home